[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler WebUI and Multiple NICs (checked in)

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri Oct 12 22:23:54 UTC 2007

Web UI update...

So, the Cobbler/koan 0.6.3 as a release is looking like it will address
primarily Web UI features (and of course multiple NICs).  Future
releases will
not be so Web-UI centric, so if you aren't seeing your favorite RFE's
committed ... they'll be coming soon enough.

For those interested in the WebUI, however, I've committed some newness
that should be useful and interesting.

Namely, multiple NIC editing is now in the Web UI (thanks to Máirín
Duffy for lots of DHTML help) and should make infinitely more sense than
trying to pass dozens of arguments on the command line to configure 4 or
8 different NICs.   Each NIC is shown seperately and can be
expanded/collapsed as needed.   There's also a button to remove an
interface if you've added one too many.   You can also edit virtual
bridge settings for each NIC and get to the virtual CPU setting.

A couple of other features I'd like to get into this release are
pagination for the "list" pages, which should help for when there are an
extremely large number of systems (as in thousands) in the Cobbler DB.
Database-backing (or something faster than  YAML) as an option will
probably come in a later release as all of the above changes are enough
for now.

As an aside, someone has also asked for "cobbler sync" to get triggers
(just like the "add" and "remove" commands --
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/cobbler/wiki/CobblerTriggers )
and I'm planning on including this in 0.6.3 as well.   This means that
we'll move service restarts (DHCP, ISC) out into triggers, ship those
triggers by default, and make configuration settings for whether or not
they should be run.   This is the beginning of making the sync code more
abstracted and the core a bit lighter weight.   Admins can then be able
to write their own hooks, such as using the cobbler interface to manage
DHCP files which are then rsync'd and applied to a remote system --
seperating cobbler and the DHCP server, or possibly using cobbler to
configure multiple DHCP servers (we'll see where this goes).

If you're interested in the WebUI, everything has been uploaded to git,
and installation instructions haven't changed.   Feedback welcome!

As I've said before, the Web UI is all generated from Cheetah templates,
so if folks are interested in improving it, you shouldn't find it all
that different than editing kickstarts :)