Re: I am confused

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, henris bga com wrote:

> > On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, henris bga com wrote:
> >
> > > The beta.redhat.com blurb says that you can easily switch from ext2
> > > to ext3, yet everything I have been told so far from this list says
> > > no, which is it?
> >
> > I had no problems switching my ext2 root partition to ext3, even though
> > it turned out to be slightly convoluted.  For non-root partitions just
> > follow the instructions on beta.redhat.com.
> >
> Ah, the keyboard letters from someone I know..... will do. But what did
> you have to de-convolute to get the root partition slightly over to
> ext3?

It wasn't too bad on a machine that booted from an IDE disk.  One thing I
did that was slightly different was the way I created the journal file.
The way that you're told to do it can create a fragmented journal file
which would, probably, suffer under load.  From past experience I knew how
to create a largely unfragment journal file:

dd if=/dev/zero of=journal.dat bs=20M count=1

That's going to create a 20 meg journal file in one fell swoop, in a
single write().  Don't do this, kids, if you don't have at least 64 Meg
RAM.

The situation got slightly deranged when I moved up to a workstation that
boots of a SCSI disk.  A SCSI boot uses an initrd image to load the kernel
module for the SCSI controller.  The instructions on beta.redhat.com for
converting the root partition to ext3 will not work, because the LILO
rootflags argument will go against the ramdisk, not the true root.

After a bit of trial and error I managed to convert root to ext3 in this
situation by creating a hacked 4 MB initrd image that contained the
stripped libc.so, ld-linux.so, the /dev nodes for the scsi disk, as well
as the mount and unmount binaries.  Then, I modified the linuxrc script in
the initrd image to quickly mount and unmount the root partition with the
magic flags.  Booting with that initrd image succesfully converted root to
ext3.

--
Sam