Re: EXT3-fs warning (device ide0(3,9))): ext3_free_inode: bit already clearned for inode 14

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 07:46:17PM -0500, Shirish Hemant Phatak wrote:

> > On one of our installations, I am seeing messages such as:
> >
> > EXT3-fs warning (device ide0(3,9))): ext3_free_inode: bit already clearned for inode 14
> >

>  This happens on 0.0.6b as well.

This is quite possibly due to the orphan bug fixed in 0.0.6b.  If that
list was messed up, it would certainly be possible for an inode to be
recycled twice during recovery.

Anyone seeing this sort of warning should upgrade to 6b and perform a
forced fsck (fsck -f) to clear up any problems that the orphan bug
might have left behind.  Don't worry if you get a huge list of
deleted-inode and bitmap errors: e2fsck is incredibly verbose if it
comes across old inodes which haven't been properly deleted.

If anyone can reproduce this on a 0.0.6b kernel with a filesystem
freshly fsck'ed by the e2fsprogs-1.20.WIP.sct-20010212 e2fsck, please
do let me know.

Cheers,
 Stephen