Re: Ext3 step by step installation procedure

Juri Haberland wrote:

> Well, I have to follow up to myself:
>
> Juri Haberland wrote:
> >
> > Bostjan Chargo wrote:
> > >
> > > As I'm pretty new to Linux, I'd like to know exact procedure how to install
> > > ext3 filesystem support (also which packages do I need). My kernel config is
> > > as follows:
> [SNIP]
> > get the (patched) e2fsprogs-RPMs from
>
> It's the sct-20010216 version plus the tune2fs fix from Andreas Dilger.
>
> > installed the new kernel and rebooted, create a journal on each of the
> > filesystem you want to run with ext3: journal -j /dev/hdaX.
>
> Of course, it must be: tune2fs -j /dev/hdaX...
>
> Sorry for the confusion,
> Juri

The README says a LOT more than that:

        dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/sparefs/journal.dat bs=1k count=10000

assuming you want a 10MB journal on a 1k ext2 filesystem mounted on
/mnt/sparefs.  You need to find the journal inode's inode number, too:

        ls -i /mnt/sparefs/journal.dat

So, do I need to do all this, or no?
Your FAQ is really good, up untill this part, this is as far as I've gone.  *8^)
Confused...

--
 Ed June

 buggz america net
 Linux: An open choice for free people worldwide.