PROBLEM: log abort over RAID5

Stephen C. Tweedie sct at redhat.com
Tue Mar 9 23:07:18 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 13:45, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra
wrote:

> 	After I/O, journal is aborted and filesystems made read-only.

That's the default ext3 behaviour when it finds certain types of on-disk
corruption, where continuing to allow writes could lead to the
corruption just getting worse; and

> Feb 26 06:25:24 mercurio kernel: EXT3-fs error (device dm-2):
> ext3_readdir: bad entry in directory #381585: directory entry across
> blocks - offset=0, inode=0, rec_len=4132, name_len=63

here's the first of the errors being detected.

It's just not possible to diagnose _why_ it went bad from the data
here.  It could be a disk or driver fault; bad memory, overheating CPU,
configuration error, anything.

Is there a repeating pattern to the problems?

--Stephen