Desktop Filesystem Benchmarks in 2.6.3

Hans Reiser reiser at namesys.com
Wed Mar 3 14:16:16 UTC 2004

Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

>As I said, it could have been a kernel bug, or maybe I simply didn't
>understand the implications of recovery, but xfs_repair was totally
>unable to fix the problem. It instructed me to use "dd" to move the
>volume to a healthy disk and retry the operation, but it was not easy to
>do that as I explained before.

I think that your expectation is unreasonable.  XFS was designed for
machines where popping in a working hard drive was feasible.  Making a
disk layout adaptable to any arbitrary block going bad is more work than
you might think, and for their intended market (not laptops) they did
the right thing.

You can buy cables that allow you to connect laptop drives to desktops.

--
Hans