mke2fs options for very large filesystems

Andreas Dilger adilger at clusterfs.com
Tue Feb 8 19:59:53 UTC 2005

On Feb 08, 2005  08:00 -0700, kwijibo at zianet.com wrote:
> Just as a side note but do you really want to reserve 5%
> of your 2TB partition for root?
>
> Another side question on this. Is it possible to make mkfs
> accept non-integer values for the reserved percentage?
> It is getting to the point these days where partitions
> are getting so big that even 1% is becoming quite a waste.
> However it would still be good to have some space reserved.

The value is stored in the kernel as a blocks count, so it is possible
to store any value there.  It should be possible to change the mke2fs
and tune2fs option parsing to accept a float there.  I think you can
set this manually via debugfs and "ssv" (in the latest e2fsprogs there
is also a command to set a single superblock value).

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
http://members.shaw.ca/adilger/             http://members.shaw.ca/golinux/