ext3 offline resizing

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Tue Jun 21 02:20:36 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 09:23:13AM +0200, jjletho67-3txe at yahoo.it wrote:
> I want to setup a linux workstation with FC4 and with
> all the partitions (except for /boot) under LVM to be
> able to resize them in future. I don't need online
> resizing, I can shutdown the system and reboot with
> the rescuecd when needed.
> I have done some test on this configuration and I have
> sverals doubts:
>
> If i format a partition with the resize_inode feature
> enabled and I resize it offline with resize2fs all is
> ok until I reach (in a single step or in several step)
> 1000*(Original Size). When i extend a partition over
> this size I receive a couple of error when I launch
> fsck.ext3 and the resize_inode feature disappears.

What error(s) are you getting?  Not all messages from e2fsck are
errors, you know.  Some are informative messages, such as:

	Backing up journal inode block information

> If I format a partition without the resize_inode
> feature then i can resize it to any size, but after
> the resize the first launch of fsck.ext3 gives always
> this error:
>
> Backing up journal inode block information
>
> In both the scenarios after the resize I'm able to
> mount the partitions.
> The question is: for offline resizing is better to
> disable the resize_inode feature ?
> Is the error message i wrote really an error ?

Resize2fs will take advantage of the on-line resizing inode to do
off-line resizes faster and more safely.  It should work with or
without, it, though.  It should work fine; send the error messages if
you'd like me to give you an opinion about them.

					- Ted