mount r/w and r/o

Andreas Dilger adilger at clusterfs.com
Fri Nov 4 21:27:51 UTC 2005

On Nov 04, 2005  18:11 +0100, J�r�me Petazzoni wrote:
> [one r-w mount, multiple r-o mounts shared thru FC switch]
>
> I once heard about someone doing something like that for a video farm,
> intermixing solaris and freebsd servers (so as far as he, and I, knew,
> there was no easy sharing solution). He did the following :
> - create the filesystem on the solaris bow
> - create many 1 GB files, with a specific byte pattern (512 bytes
> sectors iirc)

Actually, if this was the case (files were never extended or truncated)
and the clients always used O_DIRECT to prevent caching of the data
then this would also work with an ext2 mount (or a modified ext3 that
had a mount option to disable journal recovery, only in conjunction
with read-only mounting).

It wouldn't really be a "normal" filesystem but for a specialized app
environment it might work.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger