Ext3 and 3ware RAID5

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Sat Apr 15 11:18:00 UTC 2006

--On 14 April 2006 18:31 -0400 Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu> wrote:

> Any ideas as to what leads to ext3's performance hit?  I've tested *lots*
> of configurations.  It's not the md layer -- 1 card setups see the same
> performance hit.

No idea, but I suffer the same problem with a 9550SX-4 with SATA3
drives. I don't think ext3 is the problem as dd gives much the same
behaviour (you might want to try it). My reluctant conclusion is
that the 9550SX is just dog slow, which is why the drives are currently
sitting idle. I would love someone from 3ware to disprove this.

Alex