Errors on EXT3 on RHEL3, Can we use e2fsprogs 1.36?

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Thu Jun 8 13:50:27 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 01:39:55PM -0400, Ken Guyton wrote:
> SUMMARY
>
> We are getting many ``Free blocks count wrong for group'' errors when
> running e2fsck on a 245-GB ext3 filesystem.  This is when the file
> system is cleanly unmounted on a relatively quiet system to do a
> resize.  From reading other messages here, my suspicion is that this
> is because we have e2fsprogs 1.32.

I'm not certain that the problem is caused by e2fsprogs 1.32, but it
is a very old version of e2fsprogs.  In general though e2fsprogs is
quite careful about backwards compatibility, so it should be safe to
use the latest e2fsprogs 1.39 on an RHEL3 system.  You will have to
compile it yourself from source, though.  (And there have been quite a
lot of bugs fixed between 1.36 and 1.39)

						- Ted