viewing ext3 journal

Stefan Drexleri niam.tni at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 21 20:08:14 UTC 2006

2006/6/21, Andreas Dilger <adilger at clusterfs.com>:

> Note that this would never be possible (or at least very easy) with ext3
> journaling since ext3 uses "block journaling", where the whole filesystem
> block that is modified is written to the journal (e.g. one or two directory
> leaf blocks and up to four inode table blocks are written to disk for a
> rename).

So you would have to decode raw data. I'm wondering, why ext3
developers didn't make debugfs can do that?
Sure, you can do good file monitoring at higher level, but wouldn't
such a human-readable fs journal the best report, you ever could get?
I don't know if this feature would be of big interest, i'm curious. ;)

greetings