fixing a corrupt /dev/hdar .. debugfs assistance...

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Tue Mar 21 04:33:33 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 04:27:22PM -0700, Chris Worley wrote:
> I used ddrescue to copy /dev/md1 to a disk of sufficient size, and
> re-ran e2fsck, and still get the error message that there's no root
> file system (I've tried most every superblock):

Using debugfs, copy out the the contents of "root inode"; since it
might contain useful data, e2fsck didn't want to delete it out of
hand.

debugfs: dump <2> /tmp/contents-of-inode-2

Then purge the inode away:

debugfs: clri <2>

Then run e2fsck, and it will create a new root directory for you.

Hope this helps!

						- Ted