Ext3 - which blocksize for small files?

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Tue Nov 28 01:34:38 UTC 2006

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, witscher wrote:
> I want to use an ext3 Partition (~1TB) for Mail Storage, this means tons of
> small files.
> Has anyone recommendations about blocksize, inodes, etc. for mkfs.ext3 ?

from a recent mkfs.ext3 manpage:

-T fs-type
        Specify how the filesystem is going to be used, so that
        mke2fs can choose optimal filesystem parameters for that use.
        The filesystem types that are can be supported are defined in the
        configuration file /etc/mke2fs.conf(5).  The default
        configuration file contains definitions for the filesystem types:
        small, floppy, news, largefile, and largefile4.

and a /etc/mke2fs.conf on a debian system reveals:

[defaults]
         base_features = sparse_super,filetype,resize_inode,dir_index
         blocksize = 4096
         inode_ratio = 8192

[fs_types]
         small = {
                 blocksize = 1024
                 inode_ratio = 4096
         }
         floppy = {
                 blocksize = 1024
         }
         news = {
                 inode_ratio = 4096
         }
         largefile = {
                 inode_ratio = 1048576
         }
         largefile4 = {
                 inode_ratio = 4194304
         }

--
BOFH excuse #433:

error: one bad user found in front of screen