16TB ext3 mainstream - when?

Christian evilninja at gmx.net
Wed Oct 4 15:40:31 UTC 2006

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Oct 03, 2006  23:30 +0100, Chris Allen wrote:
>> Are we likely to see patches to allow 16TB ext3 in the mainstream
>> kernel any time soon?
>
> I think the patches are going into -mm (if not already), so start testing...
> If not, they have been posted here several times, along with a URL for
> download.

I don't get it: I thought ext2/3 filesystems (volumes) can be 32TiB in
size? At least that's what [0] says. If this is wrong, someone should
correct this information. Although I must admit that 16 TiB per fs makes
more sense, given that with a max blocksize of 4K and a max of 2^32
blocks we have 16TiB of data.... Where does this 2^32 limitation come
from anyway?

Thanks,
Christian.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems
--
BOFH excuse #247:

Due to Federal Budget problems we have been forced to cut back on the number of users able to access the system at one time. (namely none allowed....)