Ancient Very slow directory traversal thread

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Tue Dec 4 18:52:32 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 14:37 -0500, Rashkae wrote:
> I just came across your message to a mailing list here:
[message concerned it taking hours to go through directories in a mail
spool on ext3]

> https://www.redhat.com/archives/ext3-users/2007-October/msg00019.html
>
> This might be a problem you resolved for yourself a long time ago, but I
> thought you might be interested to know that Theodore's spd_readdir
> library works great with star (even though I also cannot get it to work
> with tar or even du).
That's interesting.  Since I couldn't get it to work with tar, got no
response, and wasn't sure how or if to get it to work with the daemon to
that really needed it, I haven't made and progress.

I wonder what determines whether the library helps or hurts.

> star with spd_readdir is what I use to back up maildir spools, and
> something I consider absolutely necessary for any such storage on ext3
> or reiserfs filesystems.
I hadn't noticed this was an issue with reiser.

I also just noticed that e2fsck has an option, -D, to optimize
directories.  The man page says this will reindex directories.  Does
anyone know if that could help?

Ross