[Q] How can the directory location to dd output affect performance?

Maurice Volaski mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu
Sat Jan 13 02:31:38 UTC 2007

I have two Opteron-based Tyan systems being supported by PCI-e Areca
cards. There is definitely an issue going on in the two systems that
is causing significantly degraded performance of these cards. It
appeared, initially, that the SATA backplane on the Tyan chassis was
wholly to blame.

But then I made an odd discovery.

I'm running from the Ubuntu LiveCD for 64-bit. It uses kernel
2.6.19-7 and the RAID drives are formatted as ext3. The benchmark
command is dd if=/dev/zero of=output oflag=sync bs=100M count=1

My root is organized has a /maurice directory and a /maurice/drbd
directory and initially I had changed to that directory to run the
benchmark. In here, the speeds were slow, averaging about 40
MB/second.
When I happened to run it from /, I suddenly began getting about 70
MB/second. So in some bizarre fashion, the location to where the
output of dd is directed to dramatically impacts the performance. I
have run from other directories and the performance varies depending
on which directory I'm in.

Can anyone explain this?

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu