EXT2 vs. EXT3: mount w/sync or fdatasync

Andreas Dilger adilger at clusterfs.com
Thu Mar 22 04:14:24 UTC 2007

On Mar 21, 2007  16:51 -0700, brian stone wrote:
> My application always needs to sync file data after writing. I don't want anything handing around in the kernel buffers. I am wondering what is the best method to accomplish this.

>  4. Do I use EXT3 in full journaled mode, where the data and metadata are journaled? In this case, is the journaled data sync'd or async'd? When the journal commits the data to the file system, is that sync'd or dumped into kernel buffers?
>
>  5. Since I will always be syncing the data, does it make any sense to use EXT3? It feels like the EXT3 journal would be unnecessary.

In theory, ext3 + data=journal will give you the best performance, because
sync IO will always be linear IO to the journal.  Unless your filesystem is
constantly busy, then the writes to the filesystem can happen asynchronously
after being committed to the journal without danger of being lost.

That said, nothing better than benchmarking your app with different
filesystem options to see which one is best.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer