-----Original Message-----
From: John Anthony Kazos Jr. [mailto:jakj j-a-k-j com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:17 AM
To: Jan Kara
Cc: wheeler, richard; armangau, philippe; ext3-users redhat com;
linux-ext4 vger kernel org; csar stanford edu
Subject: Re: Ext3 behavior on power failure

>  If you fsync() your data, you are guaranteed that also your data are
> safely on disk when fsync returns. So what is the question here?

Pardon a newbie's intrusion, but I do know this isn't true. There is a
window of possible loss because of the multitude of layers of caching,
especially within the drive itself. Unless there is a
super_duper_fsync()
that is able to actually poll the hardware and get a confirmation that
the
internal buffers are purged?