dealing with mke2fs -T option

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Mon May 28 13:37:00 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 01:57:41PM +0200, Ionel GARDAIS wrote:
> Hi Theodore,
>
> Thanks for your help.
> When trying to use the -i switch for 32Mb files, here is the output :
>
> $ mke2fs -j -b 4096 -E stride=16 -m 1 -i 33554432 /dev/sde
> mke2fs: bad inode ratio 33554432 (min 1024/max 8192

Hmm, there's a bug in the error message the maximum inode ratio is 8MB
(i.e., 8388608).  That's still smaller than the 32MB which you
requested.  I should change the inode ratio to be larger, since there
are filesystems where such a setting might make sense.  Remember,
though, that you can't expand the number of inodes (at least without
resizing the entire filesystem) after you create it, and that
symlinks, device files, FIFO's directories, etc., all take an inode,
so should think carefully setting a particular inode ratio.

For now, if you want a specific number of inodes, you can just specify
it by hand using -N.

					- Ted