corruption happening sometimes when I do a shutdown -r now

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Sun Dec 21 16:49:56 UTC 2008

Eric Sandeen wrote:
> shirish wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Apologies but this is going to be a long post.
>>
>>  I get a corruption sometime when I do a $sudo shutdown -r now
>>
>> This is on an ubuntu 8.10 machine.
>>
>> The only way to resolve the same I know is to do a sudo fsck -y /dev/sdb7
>>
>> This is the output I got when I ran fsck through the Live CD
>>
>> $ sudo fsck -y /dev/sdb7
>> fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
>> e2fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
>> /dev/sdb7 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
>
> If the fs was flagged with errors, the first thing to do is to find out
> what that error was; it should be in the system logs.

Off-list shirish sent more info; the fs is being marked w/ errors via:

/var/log/kern.log:Dec 19 19:55:39 shirish-desktop kernel: [
158.989493] EXT3-fs error (device sdb7): ext3_free_blocks_sb: bit
already cleared for block 493569

... etc, which explains why it's finding an error-marked fs on fsck and
why fsck finds work to do.

I don't know what kernel this is running on...

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git&a=commitdiff&h=72ed3d035855841ad611ee48b20909e9619d4a79

fixed one cause of this.  Unless you can reproduce on an upstream kernel
you might bug Ubuntu about it.

-Eric