2GB memory limit running fsck on a +6TB device

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Tue Jun 10 23:01:24 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:24:27AM +0200, Santi Saez wrote:

> '/var/cache/e2fsck' is in the _same_ disk, perhaps mounting via iSCSI, NFS,
> etc.. this directory will improve, we will work with this in other test.
>
> I have enabled progress bar sending SIGUSR1 signal to the process, and it's
> still on 2% ;-(
>
> "scratch_files" directory size is now 251M, it has grown 81MB in the last 7
> hours:

hmm.....  can you send me the output of dumpe2fs /dev/sdXX?  You can
run that command while e2fsck is running, since it's read-only.  I'm
curious exactly how big the filesystem is, and how many directories
are in the first part of the filesystem.

How big is the filesystem(s) that you are backing up via BackupPC, in
terms of size (megabytes) and files (number of inodes)?  And how many
days of incremental backups are you keeping?  Also, how often do files
change?  Can you give a rough estimate of how many files get modified
per backup cycle?

Thanks,

						- Ted