journal on an ssd

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Thu Sep 11 04:10:53 UTC 2008

On Sep 10, 2008  18:05 +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> I have not tested this, but since we are putting about 16 different
> journals on this one ssd, I would assume that the loss through
> seeking between the journals would be pretty bad, and again bring
> back that inter-filesystem-dependency we were trying to loose with
> this measure.

The cost of putting the journals on 16 separate, relatively small
disk devices would probably be comparable to the cost of the SSD
and not have a single point of failure.  The journal does mostly
linear IO, so performance is probably equal or better.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group