journal on an ssd

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Thu Sep 11 11:45:33 UTC 2008

Hi Ric,

Today Ric Wheeler wrote:

[...]

> I assume that you have a hardware RAID card, not an external array? If you do
> have an array (IBM Shark, EMC box, etc) with battery backed internal cache,
> then you should get better than SSD speeds from one of its LUNs assuming your
> cache is large enough ;-)

It is a hwraid card with batttery backed cache (areca). I think the
problem with the built in cache is that the raid manages it without
knowing about the structure of the filesystem.

At the bottom of it it is strong argument for zfs :-)

still wondering what happens when ext3 looses a journal.

cheers
tobi