ext3 zerofree option and RedHat back port?

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Tue Sep 23 16:49:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 10:13:20AM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me if the zerofree option for ext3 has been back ported
> > to RedHat EL4 or EL5?
>
> there appears to be no backporting to do; it's a single .c file that
> makes simple use (I assume...) of libext2...
>
> But no, it's not in Fedora, EPEL, or RHEL.  Builds fine on my rhel5 box.
>
> If you wanted to, you could be the maintainer for Fedora, and put it
> into EPEL, which would make it available for RHEL :)

Or it would be roughly a 5 line change to e2image (3 for option
parsing, 1 for the usage line, and 1 to the if statement in
write_raw_image_file() :-) to add an option to extend the "raw dump"
functionality to also dump the data blocks of files, at which point it
would create a sparse file containing only the used blocks in the
filesystem for you, automatically.

    	 	       		      	   - Ted