[Q] What might cause modification dates to shift later by an hour?

Maurice Volaski mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu
Thu Jun 25 18:29:46 UTC 2009

Recently, our backup software oddly decided to rebackup a good
portion of our file server instead of just doing an incremental. When
I examined various sets of presumably identical files, I discovered
that the modification dates on these files were no longer the same.
Many files were re-dated to exactly one hour later such that if a
file had been modified on 3/24/04 at 2:24:53 PM, it's modification
date had somehow been changed to 3/24/04 at 3:24:53 PM.

A point to note that is that this server is actually two separate
servers with independent storage mirrored by drbd. And it's possible
that the first backup was done on one server and the second on the
other. However, drbd mirrors the storage bit by bit, so it's hard to
see how files on each of them could have different modification
dates. Also, even if the time on the computers were different by an
hour (they're current the same to the second), it's not clear how the
modification dates could somehow get re-dated.

It's also not clear what mechanism could have redated them. I've
almost certainly run fsck on the affected filesystems. Would there
ever be a circumstance when fsck might second guess a file's
modification time and change it? e2fsck is currently 1.41.4, though I
don't know if that's the version that I ran when I ran it.

However, there seems to be a field in the backup software called
status modification date and a lot of these affected files had their
status modified around the same time, implying something did iterate
over the files and do something to them.

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu