File caching?

Michael McGlothlin michaelm at plumbersstock.com
Tue Mar 23 18:16:01 UTC 2010

I've been asked to cache some high traffic files on one of our server. Is
there an easy way to get ext3/ext4 filesystems to cache several GB of files
in memory at once? I'd like writes to happen normally but reads to happen
from RAM. (We have plenty of RAM so that isn't an issue.)

If that isn't possible I can cache the files myself. Does the filesystem
keep a cache in memory of the file attributes such as modification time? So
if I check for a change will the disk actually have to physically move to
check the mod time?

Thanks,
Michael McGlothlin