corrupted quotas/running quotacheck on a mounted filesystem

Matthew Dickinson lists at alpha345.com
Tue Nov 16 17:33:07 UTC 2010

Hi,

1TB ext3 volume mounted via iSCSI on a RHEL5.5 system

the quotas on one of my systems (with ~5k users) seems to have become out
of sync with reality (500MB reported, but 100G+ in reality) - i'm seeing
some odd behavior when running the quota
tools also. For example, "quota -u" shows no quota for some users, but
when running "edquota", they're visible in the list.

As such, I think i'm in need to running the quotacheck utility. From the
man page, it would appear that this is to be run on an unmounted
filesystem - is this accurate? can it be safely run on a mounted
filesystem? I understand that the results might not be completely accurate
if information changes during the quotacheck run, but it should be more
accurate than it is now!

I'm not really able to take the system offline for an unmounted filesystem
for another month or so, but would really like to get some more accurate
figures in the quota.

Or is there another option i've missed?

Thanks,

Matthew