Resizing a file system that has been converted to ext4

Hello,

I have an ext3 file system of about 8TiB in size. At the rate data is added to the file system it will fill up in a few months so I'm weighing my options. One option would be to create a new ext4 file system and copy everything over to a new, larger ext4 file system. Another option would be to modify the software that uses this file system so it can use multiple file systems. Finally, I could could convert the existing file system to ext4 and then resize it. Is this advisable? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,
Sean McCauliff