Resizing a file system that has been converted to ext4

Mccauliff, Sean D. (ARC-PX)[Lockheed Martin Space OPNS] sean.d.mccauliff at nasa.gov
Fri Apr 8 22:24:16 UTC 2011

Thanks for all the responses this may change how I approach this issue!

Sean McCauliff
From: Andreas Dilger [adilger at dilger.ca]
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 7:21 PM
To: Mccauliff, Sean D. (ARC-PX)[Lockheed Martin Space OPNS]
Cc: ext3-users at redhat.com
Subject: Re: Resizing a file system that has been converted to ext4

I'm pretty sure that I have filesystems with mixed extent- and block-mapped files that I've resized in the past.

That said, depending on your data's importance, and your tolerance for risk you should probably have a backup of your data anyway. At that point, starting with a fresh ext4 filesystem and restoring from backup is also attractive for the performance improvements of extents, as well as other format-time only features.

My filesystems have a high turnover rate (PVR) and are not impossible to replace, so I have been resizing in place and letting normal turnover of files migrate to extents. I still don't have some if the newer filesystem features.

Cheers, Andreas