Possible bug in mkfs.ext3

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 00:01:35 UTC 2014

On 09/20/2014 12:07 AM, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2014, at 7:56 PM, jd1008 <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am reporting this on the advice of the Fedora Users Mailing List Member.
>>
>> This the mailing list exchange outlining the problem with specifying -S to mkfs, and it's subsequent consequences when fsck is run.
>>
>> I am reporting this per suggestions made to me on the Fedora Users Mailing List.
> I would say that "mke2fs -S" is going to lead to worse corruption rather
> than improving the situation in 999 times of 1000.  It should only be
> used by someone who knows very specific details of the filesystem and
> how it was corrupted.  I'm tempted to make it an "undocumented" feature,
> since I suspect it will do more harm than good in most cases.  "-S"
> should at least call check_plausibility() and proceed_question() before
> clobbering the filesystem.
>
> Better would be something like the "findsuper" utility in the e2fsprogs
> sources (attached here for your conveniece).  Usually in cases like this
> the problem is actually something with the partition table, and not that
> all of your backup superblocks have mysteriously been corrupted at the
> same time.
>
> Cheers, Andreas
>
>> The following is the mailing list exchange:

>>> Verify that the partition table still appears to be correct.  If it
>>> is pointing to the wrong starting location, none of the super blocks
>>> will appear in the expected places. You might see if /testdisk/can
>>> find any intact super blocks.
>>>
>>> Consider using a hex editor to look at some of the super blocks.
>>> They should contain the same data.  The data that actually appears
>>> there might give some clue as to what happened.
>>>
>>> As a last ditch recovery effort, run mke2fs/mke3fs with the "-S"
>>> option to initialize the super blocks and group descriptors only.
>>> Do this only with (or on) a backup copy of the partition, since
>>> it is potentially destructive.  Then see if /debugfs/can make
>>> sense of the filesystem, and if so, run /fsck/with the "-f"
>>> option to repair the metadata.

>>> Chances are this is an upstream bug, or a misunderstanding. You should post your reproduce steps to the ext4 list, what you expect to happen based on man page, and what actually happens.
>>> http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-ext4
>>>

>>> Chris Murphy

Update:
Since I had believed, and it has been mentioned, that there is a
possibility that the partition
table itself may have been clobbered in a way to change the real
starting address of the partition,
I decided to search for possible candidates for a superblock using fsck
in a shell script as follows:

sb=0; while [ $sb -lt 429496729600 ]; do
possibleSB=`e2fsck -n -b $sb /dev/sdc7 2>&1 | grep 'The superblock could
not be read|Bad magic number'`
[ "x$possibleSB" = "x" ] && echo $sb - "$possibleSB"
sb=`expr $sb + 512`
done > possibleSB

I found these blocks, the value of which might hint that the current
start block of the partition may have been altered:
1325056
2373632
3815424
6553600
13376000
13391872
13407744
13423616
13439488

Running fsck /dev/sdc7:

for sb in 1325056 2373632 3815424 6553600 13376000 13391872 13407744
13423616 13439488 ; do
echo fsck -b $sb /dev/sdc7
fsck -b $sb /dev/sdc7
echo =================
done

fsck -b 1325056 /dev/sdc7
fsck from util-linux 2.24.2
e2fsck 1.42.8 (20-Jun-2013)
Superblock has an invalid journal (inode 8).
Clear<y>? no
fsck.ext2: Illegal inode number while checking ext3 journal for /dev/sdc7

/dev/sdc7: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

/dev/sdc7: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

=================
fsck -b 2373632 /dev/sdc7
fsck from util-linux 2.24.2
e2fsck 1.42.8 (20-Jun-2013)
Superblock has an invalid journal (inode 8).
Clear<y>? no
fsck.ext2: Illegal inode number while checking ext3 journal for /dev/sdc7

/dev/sdc7: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

/dev/sdc7: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

=================
fsck -b 3815424 /dev/sdc7
fsck from util-linux 2.24.2
e2fsck 1.42.8 (20-Jun-2013)
Superblock has an invalid journal (inode 8).
Clear<y>? no
fsck.ext2: Illegal inode number while checking ext3 journal for /dev/sdc7

/dev/sdc7: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

/dev/sdc7: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

=================
fsck -b 6553600 /dev/sdc7
fsck from util-linux 2.24.2
e2fsck 1.42.8 (20-Jun-2013)
fsck.ext2: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
while trying to open /dev/sdc7
Could this be a zero-length partition?
=================
fsck -b 13376000 /dev/sdc7
fsck from util-linux 2.24.2
e2fsck 1.42.8 (20-Jun-2013)
Superblock has an invalid journal (inode 8).
Clear<y>? no
fsck.ext2: Illegal inode number while checking ext3 journal for /dev/sdc7

/dev/sdc7: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

=================
fsck -b 13391872 /dev/sdc7
fsck from util-linux 2.24.2
e2fsck 1.42.8 (20-Jun-2013)
Superblock has an invalid journal (inode 8).
Clear<y>? no
fsck.ext2: Illegal inode number while checking ext3 journal for /dev/sdc7

/dev/sdc7: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

=================
fsck -b 13407744 /dev/sdc7
fsck from util-linux 2.24.2
e2fsck 1.42.8 (20-Jun-2013)
Superblock has an invalid journal (inode 8).
Clear<y>? no
fsck.ext2: Illegal inode number while checking ext3 journal for /dev/sdc7

/dev/sdc7: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

fsck -b 13423616 /dev/sdc7
fsck from util-linux 2.24.2
e2fsck 1.42.8 (20-Jun-2013)
Superblock has an invalid journal (inode 8).
Clear<y>? no
fsck.ext2: Illegal inode number while checking ext3 journal for /dev/sdc7

/dev/sdc7: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

fsck -b 13439488 /dev/sdc7