Draft Proposal: Spin Submission and Approval Process

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Mar 6 14:43:59 UTC 2008

> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Rahul Sundaram
> > <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >>  What purpose does bugzilla components for every spin serve?
> >
> > Patch submission for changes in kickstart logic.
> >

> >> I would prefer
> >>  some other medium for feedback/ requests on actual spin changes.
> >
> > 'Some other'... is pretty unspecific.  Where would you prefer patches
> > for kickstart logic go?
>
> I haven't ever got patches but if it does happen, some email address is
> preferable. I am currently maintaining several accepted spins: games,
> xfce and about a dozen localized spins. Among these, I only maintain a
> couple of packages. Almost 100% of the changes happen within the actual
> packages and are not spin specific. My effort is spend in developing a
> kickstart file, determining package changes, channeling feedback from
> users, brainstorming ideas with the respective maintainers, testing the
> images and some minimal changes for the live cd environment. What I
> would prefer not to do is getting bugs filed against the spin when it
> should have been filed against individual packages. I am not sure how
> exactly to accomplish that.

Guess what?  You can't.  People file bugs in bugzilla.  Heck, they file
them against the wrong component all the time.  It's just one of the
facts of life of being a maintainer.  And note that if you want some
email address for filtering purposes, there are headers on every
bugzilla mail including what component it's against.

Jeremy