Fedora websites and licensing

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri May 23 18:52:04 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 10:29 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 15:10 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> >> IIRC, part of the question was what license the "code" involved in the
> >> website fell under.  That is does the css and templates for the websites
> >> also fall under the OPL?
> >
> > Exactly the point of this thread.  The *content* is under the OPL.  The
> > markup around just the content is probably covered by that OPL.  But the
> > rest of the site (CSS, Python, TurboGears, HTML, etc.) has not been
> > licensed.  It is, however, a contribution, so is covered at a minimum by
> > the CLA.
> >
> TurboGears apps are all licensed although not all of them have the
> license information in all the source files:

Thankfully each of these projects did as Paul said, get the licensing
straight from the start.

Figuring this out is going to be a great geek research project:

* Sort through commits to /cvs/fedora and the new fedorahosted.org git
space to find out all committers

* Look through f-websites-l for precedent in terms of licensing; was
this ever discussed and settled?

While the original sites were all (C) Red Hat, Inc., this new stuff has
multiple copyright owners, and is much more pervasive than
fedora.redhat.com was.

Ultimately, we're protected by the CLA in terms of usage, but it makes
it hard to make our parts and pieces into an upstream others can consume
and contribute to.  No matter the pain, it is probably worth it to do
the research and get agreements from all contributors.

- Karsten