Reviving the idea of Fedora Mentors?

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Fri May 30 16:17:51 UTC 2008

So we've got this page:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mentors

Which is an incredibly outdated relic from a previous attempt at
mentorship.

Now, I think that nearly everybody I know spends a fair amount of their
time in informal mentorship.  Lots of folks stand ready to help a newbie
contribute to the Fedora effort.

But with the completion of FAS2, and with the new media for the F9 discs
that will have the Join URL right there on the sleeve, and with the
tremendous success we're seeing at shows like LinuxTag and FISL and
elsewhere, I think it's likely that we will see a *huge* influx of newbies
like we've never seen before.  And as much work as we continue to do to
lower the barrier of entry, the fact remains: participating in something
as big as Fedora can be intimidating.

It occurs to me that maybe our first effort at a Mentors project was a bit
premature.  Is this a good time to revisit the question?

--g