Proposal for ML conduct

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 18 14:46:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, 18 May 2009, Paul W. Frields wrote:

>> How many times has the obnoxious person pointed out "Hey
>> asshole... use Google!  "?  Without such vitriol... many lists would
>> be drowning under the flood of people asking the same damn questions
>> over and over.
>
> There is nothing in the situation you describe that requires that
> level of useless vitriol.  Rewrite the same advice in a helpful and
> friendly way, and it achieves the same effect without lowering the
> tone of the discussion.

And just to clear something up.

I answer the same question over and over again, often.

I do not think a moderator will be alarmed if, in response to the same
question over and over, a form-response is pasted in and/or a single link
is left as an answer to the question.

It's a far cry from being rude and abusive to someone to simply answering
the question quickly and dispassionately.

There are times when someone misinterprets efficiency/expediency as
rudeness but I don't think that's what we're talking about for moderation
at all.

-sv