Suggestions for the Installer (regarding network installs)

Bryan White bryan at arcamax.com
Tue Oct 14 11:13:34 UTC 2003

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> Unfortunately, this release is probably the last where floppies have any
> relevance.  From 2.6 kernels so far, I really don't see how we're going
> to be able to continue to have boot disks after moving to a 2.6 kernel.

This will be painful.  I have been setting up boxes with no CD and doing
net installs from a floppy for a long time now.  I like the idea of a
USB boot into a network install but I suspect some of the older boxes
(4-500Mhz Era) will not boot from USB.

I picked up a USB keychain drive to do testing but never got it to the
point where I could boot off of it.  Does anybody know of a recipe or
howto for doing such a thing, particularly for booting into a
RedHat/Fedora network install.

Alternatively, is there some way to create a floppy that would pull a
boot image over the network?  It would have to have a selection of
network drivers.  I have never looked into boot ROMs for NICs.  That
sounds like overkill just to launch an install.

Bryan White