"Stateless Linux" project

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Tue Sep 14 16:53:42 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 17:45, Steve Coleman wrote:
> John Hearns john.hearns-at-clustervision.com |fedora| wrote:
>
> > My contention is that the MAC is the only 'key' at this
> > stage.

>  > Speaking as someone who looks after a Mosix cluster,
>  > from what I've read I doubt Mosix will ever make it into
>  > the official Linux kernel.
>
> As for Mosix I am likely putting my foot in my mouth, as I never used
> it.
Steve, not at all.
In fact I thought I was putting my foot in my mouth.
That's what discussion lists are for.

I have always liked Mosix, and have followed it.
One of our customers uses Mosix on his cluster, as it is a 'fire and
forget' solution, and he doesn't want the fuss of a batch system.
For him, it works marvellously.

On the Beowulf list recently, there was a post from someone from SAP
(I think) asking about migrating vmware images. Interesting...
Sadly they don't migrate. Only certain processes migrate - have
a look at the Mosix wiki.

And my remarks about the Linux kernel are based on something I rad
once about Linus saying he would never have it in the kernel.