Mail accounts in heterogeneous environments

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Mon Jul 2 10:56:04 UTC 2007

Trever L. Adams wrote:
> Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
>
>> - Are there some another solution for the support of "SPA against
>> domain" by Linux MTA/pop/imap servers in Fedora?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dmitry Butskoy
>>

> Thank you for asking all of these questions. I am looking at doing a lot
> of these and have not yet asked these. It seems a lot of software
> (server) works with much of this, however, I would like to see
> (hopefully in F8) the ability to do SPA like stuff on everything (client
> and servers).

After the adding of SPA support for smtp/pop3/imap servers in Fedora, it
seems that we shall close to solution of this problem. At least in
application level. There are enough number of applications for which
NTLM implementation looks useful and which already supports it (Mozilla,
Evolutiion, Squid, Apache, etc.)

>  Particularly, I would like to see the ability to have a
> REAL cifs implementation. Right now, everything is done as the one who
> mounted (or --user) the fs. Can we get an AD version of this so that
> permissions get used and mapped as much as possible to Linux fs
> permissions and so that the user who requests the operation is the user
> used, not root, not --user, etc.?

Such a mapping is implemented in Samba's winbind daemon (i.e. SID->uid
mapping etc.). The issue is how to report this mapping to kernel level.
Perhaps it is a task for some user-level filesystem over FUSE ?...

~buc