Packaging guidelines update? - Naming snapshots

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Tue Oct 14 20:01:13 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm trying pass tightvnc package through package review but I've been
informed that I don't meet package naming guidelines.

Source is pulled from upstream svn so I used this Revision tag and
.tar.bz2 name:

tightvnc-1.5.0-0.4.svn2975%{?dist}
tightvnc-1.5.0-svn2975.tar.bz2

Point where source was taken from upstream VCS is absolutely clear -
it was revision 2975 but packaging guidelines says that I have to use
date (something like 20081008svn or 20081008svn2975):

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/SourceURL#Using_Revision_Control
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#SnapshotPackages

I think that guidelines should be updated and using of "revision" tag
should be allowed when upstream uses something like svn.

Do you have any comments?

Regards, Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.