http://fedoraproject.org/extras/4/i386/repodata/

Andreas Thienemann andreas at bawue.net
Sat Jul 9 11:04:19 UTC 2005

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005, Eric R. Meyers wrote:

> I don't know what the big answer is.  The idea is that there are 1031 of 1251
> packages in Fedora-Extras that are in __nogroup__.
This "problem" stems from the fact that repoview groups the packages
according to the comps.xml data and does not take the Group tag from the
specfile into account.

Now, I do think repoview is at fault here. The comps.xml package is used
to group the packages into logical choices for the initial installation.
If I want to develop gnome applications on my system, I'll check "Gnome
Software Development" and it will make sure I have a compiler, a linker,
make, auto-tools and the most important gnome and gtk libraries.

If I have a soundcard, I'll check Multimedia and get an audio player, a
video player and a volume control panel.

That works great.

But now apply this to extras, where we do have more than one audio player
as Sindre pointed out.

Assuming that comps.xml is a good choice for grouping packages, as
repoview does, works for core, but is failing for extras. It would be more
sensible to fall back on the specfile Group tag and sort the packages into
these groups.

bye,
 andreas