[Fedora-ia64-list] F8 for ia64 now available

Doug Chapman dchapman at redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 15:49:34 UTC 2007

Fedora 8 for ia64 release notes
11/19/2007 - Doug Chapman

This release was built from the SRPM packages from the Fedora 8 release.
Users should refer to those release notes for general issues as these
notes only refer to issues specific to the ia64 build.  This was a manually
built release.  We hope for this to be the last Fedora-ia64 release that
is done manually and future releases will be done as part of the Fedora
secondary architecture project.  Updated information on Fedora for ia64
can be found at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/IA64

We welcome ia64 users to give feedback about this release at:
fedora-ia64-list at redhat.com

* Availability
Fedora-ia64 is available from mirror sites at HP and SGI.  We would appreciate
other interested mirror sites as well.  If you have a site where you would
like to mirror these bits please contact doug.chapman at hp.com to be added to
the mirror list.

The current list of mirror sites can be found at:
	http://free.linux.hp.com/Fedora-ia64/mirrorlist.cgi

* yum configured properly by default
This release contains custom yum config files which point to the Fedora-ia64
mirrors.

* updated yum config
There was a small mistake made in the yum config files packaged with this
release.  Some packages may not be found until the fedora-release package
is updated.  An update for this is already available and can be installed
with:
	yum update fedora-release

* Missing packages:
Some packages from Fedora do not currently build on ia64.  For some
packages this is expected as they are x86 specific but there are
several other base packages that currently have build failures on
ia64 which are being investigated.  Because of this after an install
you may notice that several packages were installed with unsatisfied
dependencies.  The known packages from a base install that are missing
are:
	mono
	libXxf86dga
	perl(BSD::Resource)
	libgnomeprint22
	xorg-x11-drv-calcomp
	xorg-x11-drv-citron
	xorg-x11-drv-dmc
	xorg-x11-drv-dynapro
	xorg-x11-drv-microtouch
	xorg-x11-drv-penmount
	tetex-dvips
	tetex-fonts
	tetex-latex
	texinfo-tex

There are likely others but this is what I see missing when I install
with all package groups selected.  Please discuss missing packages
on fedora-ia64-list at redhat.com before filing BZs.

* no xen virtualization
There are ia64 build failures on the xen and libvirt packages so this
release does not currently support xen.  This will hopefully be resolved
in an update package.

* customized packages
Some packages required minor edits to build for ia64.  The SRPMs for these
packages are available as well.  The modified packages include:
	pango-1.18.3-1drc.fc8.ia64.rpm
	pango-devel-1.18.3-1drc.fc8.ia64.rpm
	fedora-release-8-5ia64.noarch.rpm

however other custom packages may be released as updates to resolve some
of the missing dependencies issues.