[Fedora-ia64-list] builder update

Dennis Gilmore ausil at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 4 14:59:42 UTC 2008

On Thursday 04 September 2008 09:21:58 am Doug Chapman wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 08:50 -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > So right now we have gotten the cyclades connected to the consoles.
> > however the machines are not configured for serial console.  ia64-3 seems
> > to somewhat be setup for serial console.  however all i can get is � on
> > ia64-3, ia64-2  is up  however I do not have an account on it and ia64-1
> > is also up,  and i have switched out the certs  so that it uses fedora's
> > new ca for user auth.  I will try and get the person who is physically
> > there to help with ia64-3  and hopefully ill get an account on ia64-2  to
> > make sure its ok
> >
> > I would like to get some specs on the systems.  is it possible to get
> > ipmi cards for them?  what can be done to make them easier to remotely
> > manage?
>
> I have never been clear on what these boxes are.  They were donated by
> the ISA (Itanium solutions alliance) and I think they are older versions
> of the Hitachi systems that Intel sells as their ia64 development
> platform.  I do not believe these older systems have any sort of
> manageability option.
>
> However, I should have HP systems that do have manageability lined up to
> replace these systems.

i have serial console on them now from elilo up  but not efi.  i guess that
needs the person physically there to configure it.

> > I want to take this opportunity to once again say that Fedora doesn't
> > have the resources for hosting the buildsystem.  and there is not someone
> > at the colo where they are hosted.  I have managed to be given access to
> > the PDU's and cyclades that they are plugged into.  and will help where i
> > can.  Any request for help should have a ticket filled at
> > https://fedorahosted.org/fedora- infrastructure/ and we will do our best
> > to help.  the servers are on Red Hats network and in Red Hats racks.  but
> > fedora has the access to help maintain them.
> >
> > We have been very clear that fedora doesn't have the resources to host
> > servers for build systems for secondary arches.  I would like to know
> > what the plan is for hardware going forward.
>
> I understand that, that is why we worked with Red Hat to host them.  As
> you mention they are in a Red Hat rack and using Red Hat
> networking/power.  I have been told that we should be going through Red
> Hat IT for any support (however there obviously have been issues with
> that).
the main issue is that because they have fedora in the name RH IS thinks they
are fedora boxes so don't want to touch them.  since fedora's infrastructure
is very separate from Red Hat's.  Now you are being told to go through fedora
infrastucture.  please do so.

Dennis