[Fedora-infrastructure-list] Officers

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jul 19 18:40:47 UTC 2006

The infrastructure group is getting bigger and I think its time that
we start examining whether we would benefit from officers in the admin
group.  I don't want to create a high barrier to getting involved with
the infrastructure project but at the same time right now everyone is
trying to do everything and as a result sometimes stuff isn't getting
done.  (ppc1 has over 200 updates that need to be done).

If we got more fine grained with security we could allow people access
to systems without giving them full root on all the systems.  For
example it would be very easy to create a nagios group so multiple
people could access and restart nagios without giving them root to the
box and other boxes.  Some apps don't even need shell access to admin,
otrs and mailman comes to mind immediately.

I could see a use for the following officers:
ticketmaster
updates
dba
noc (nagios/cacti)
accounting
VCS
external (someone who can coordinate with the other non-infrastructure
teams on things)

I'm thinking that officers should be limited to people that have been
a part of the team for months and have a good record in the true sense
of a meritocracy.  I'm also under the opinion that some systems could
have multiple officers.  (for example I could very easily see Warren
and myself as contacts for VCS).

Anyway I'm throwing it out there.  What do you guys think?  Am I
trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist?