When to rebrand fedora?

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Wed Jul 30 13:27:10 UTC 2008

I have a question. The other day I put out a sugar desktop appliance [1]
based on F9. It was pointed out that I violated the fedora trademark
policies. I did some digging, and the relevant page seems to be [2].

My question is what is a "modification". If you look at my kickstart
file [3], you see that I did 2 things which could be it:

a) I added package from a foreign repo that is also in fedora (xulrunner)
b) I added packages to to the appliance from a foreign repo

Does anyone know which item (a or b) was the actual issue? I bring this
up here since as ISVs begin to get more integrated with fedora, it is
possible that they will ship appliances, live-cds, live-usbs, install
media, etc. It would be nice to know when it is necessary to re-brand to
stay in compliance with the trademark guidelines.

BTW.. it was pretty easy to rebrand the appliance, so this is not an
issue of effort.. more of clarity.

-- bk

[1] http://sugar.s3.amazonaws.com/sugarAppliance.tar.gz
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/legal/trademarks/guidelines/page5.html