[Fedora-legal-list] License of Lazarus and fpc (freepascal)

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Feb 1 20:34:58 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 11:10 +0100, Joost van der Sluis wrote:
> Eventually the text became like this: (Lazarus)
>
> "These files are distributed under the Library GNU General Public
> License (see the file COPYING.LGPL) with the following modification:
>
> As a special exception, the copyright holders of this library give you
> permission to link this library with independent modules to produce an
> executable, regardless of the license terms of these independent
> modules, and to copy and distribute the resulting executable under terms
> of your choice, provided that you also meet, for each linked independent
> module, the terms and conditions of the license of that module. An
> independent module is a module which is not derived from or based on
> this library. If you modify this library, you may extend this exception
> to your version of the library, but you are not obligated to do so. If
> you do not wish to do so, delete this exception statement from your
> version."

This is known as the GNU Classpath exception. It is ok for Fedora,
although, I usually only see it with the GPL as opposed to the LGPL,
since the LGPL has additional relinking requirements that aren't
directly superceded by this exception.

Use:
# GNU Classpath style exception, see LICENSE
License: LGPLv2+ with exceptions

(with the correct LGPL base versioning and correct file to LICENSE text,
of course).

~spot