[Fedora-legal-list] ExtJS license

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Mon Feb 11 16:07:42 UTC 2008

> Nils Philippsen wrote:
>

> > --- 8< --- ExtJS v2.0.1 ------
> > http://extjs.com/license
> >

> > License of CSS and Graphics ("Assets")
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > The Assets distributed with Ext are licensed for use ONLY with their
> > associated Ext JavaScript component ("Component"). Use of the Assets in
> > any way that does not also include the Component is prohibited without
> > explicit permission from Ext JS, LLC.  Deriving images and CSS from the
> > Assets in an effort to bypass this license is also prohibited.
> >

> IMO, this is completely unacceptable unless we have a free "assets" set
> that can replace this.

Hmm, I wonder why shipping uqm-content is acceptable then,
see /usr/share/doc/uqm-0.6.2:

--- 8< ---
    The content -- voiceovers, dialogue, graphics, and music -- are
    copyright (C) 1992, 1993, 2002 Toys for Bob, Inc. or their
    respective creators.  The content may be used freely under the
    terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
    2.5 license (included below, and also available at
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/).  The content
    may also be copied freely as part of a distribution of The Ur-Quan
    Masters.

I agree that CC-BY-NC-SA is slightly less restrictive than the extjs
assets license above, but where do we (in our licensing guidelines) make
that distinction?

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759