apache woes forbidden strange

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Feb 12 02:10:50 UTC 2006

Dan wrote:
> yaa i know that. its just been bugging me for so many hours and im running
> out of things to try, so i thought id try giving it every access i could
> find.
>
> I tried renaming the file, moving it to another directory, but still apache
> cannot see it.  Everyone else can, even my normal user..
Sounds like when I wanted to serve from /var/local with Apache on WBEL.
It turned out to be selinux getting in the way. I forget which, but
there's a program to run ...

Also, "moving"* a file doesn't change its selinux ACLs (or ownership and
permissions). "Copying" gives the new file the appropriate new ACLs.

* Probably unless the destination's on a different filesystem.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait