Moving packages from extras to core

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sat Oct 22 07:43:30 UTC 2005

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:30:33 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> I'm packaging Avahi for Fedora Core, and it depends on libdaemon, so we
> have to ship that in Core too. However, this already exists in extras
> (although the version is too old for Avahi) so we need to actually move
> it into core.
>
> I can do the Core side of the work, in fact I have already updated the
> package to a more recent version and made a few changes to the specfile.
> The question is, how do we handle removing the version in extras, in
> favour of the core version? Has this been done before?
>
> Also, how will this work wrt maintainership of the package? I'm fine
> with owning this package inside redhat, but I don't want to steal it
> from the current extras maintainer (cc:ed). I just needed it in core due
> to the Avahi dependency.

You didn't Cc the right package maintainer. Don't rely on the spec
%changelog. Rely on bugzilla's "Components" list or the owners.list file
in Fedora Extras CVS.

ifplugd in Extras buildrequires libdaemon, but according to the
%changelog I can't tell what its status is. Cannot reach the accounts
system and query it.

In general, moving a package from Extras into Core is not a problem,
provided that the Core package is newer (in Epoch:version-release)
than the Extras package and still works with any dependencies it
has in Extras.

Potential problem with moved packages: A package moved into Core
cannot be updated in Extras for older distributions, because that would
violate the upgrade path.