Page size (was Re: New printer administration tool design for comments)

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 11:05:28 UTC 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 08:31:34PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> > REMAINING QUESTIONS:
> >
> >   Perhaps the administration tool needn't provide a method for
> >   changing default options at all?  After all, the applications will
> >   be remembering their job settings between prints.
>
> ROTFL.
> 1. No they won't, at least not all of them and not consistently
> 2. Some settings are job-specific and should *not* be remembered
> 3. Some apps won't be able to change settings so you'll need to to it at
> the print queue level

Fair points.

> > 2.5. Page size as a special case
> >      ---------------------------
> >
> > When adding a new queue for an automatically detected printer, an
> > appropriate default page size should be chosen based on the system
> > locale.
> >
> > CUPS will already do this for us when a new queue is created, so there
> > is no action to be taken.
>
> Unless the RH/Fedora tools have been fouling-up cups, it has always been
> defaulting to Letter in my experience

What I mean by 'CUPS will already do this for us' is this:

[root at cyberelk ~]# zgrep DefaultPageSize
/usr/share/cups/model/deskjet.ppd.gz
*DefaultPageSize: Letter
[root at cyberelk ~]# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -x test
lpadmin: delete-printer failed: client-error-not-found
[root at cyberelk ~]# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p test -m deskjet.ppd.gz
[root at cyberelk ~]# zgrep DefaultPageSize /etc/cups/ppd/test.ppd
*DefaultPageSize: A4
[root at cyberelk ~]# grep LANG /etc/sysconfig/i18n
LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
[root at cyberelk ~]# rpm -q cups
cups-1.1.23-15.4

CUPS knows to adjust the "PageSize" PPD option based on your locale
when a queue is added using the IPP interface.

(I'll reply to the other points in a separate message.)

Tim.
*/