Free Software audit update

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Sep 4 11:41:10 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 12:47 +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote :

> > > lesstif is built in fedora extras now.
> > >
> > > We can start rebuilding against lesstif now, but I don't think we should
> > > remove openmotif hastily. The devel packages conflict but the packages
> > > that contain the libs don't conflict. So a user that want to build his
> > > own apps against openmotif can do it, and the libs are available for
> > > linking even if lesstif is used to build.
> > A fact, I consider to be a fault of FE QA and bad design of yours.
> >
> > You should have packaged lesstif in such a way both openmotif-devel and
> > lesstif-devel can be installed in parallel.
>
> If lesstif is to be considered a straight drop-in replacement for
> openmotif,
Lesstif isn't a drop-in replacement. It tries to clone the OpenMotif
API, but it isn't ABI nor 100% API compatible.

I.e. packaging-wise Pertusus is not replacing OpenMotif with something
compatible, he is removing one package and adding a new (incompatible)
one instead.

>  then I don't really see why this is a fault or a bad design.
> Here, packagers will just need to s/openmotif-devel/lesstif-devel/ and
> have their application link against lesstif.
... until they hit a behavioral difference, or a bug in lesstif ...

>  No further changes
> required is something I'd consider positive (i.e. no need to force an
> include or library path for motif). Furthermore, since the idea is to
> completely drop openmotif ASAP, this is really a low priority (almost
> 'non') issue IMHO.

To me, OpenMotif is one of the foundations of my work. Petusus has just
kicked my work off from Fedora and rendered Fedora into a platform not
worth to be considered for a part of my work in future. So be it :)

Ralf